Space Systems Chief Engineer (Contract)
Flexible homeworking, on site hybrid approach
The Space Systems Chief Engineer at Raytheon UK will be a senior engineering role and act as the technical leader for a growing enterprise within the Space and Airborne Systems product line. As well as developing and leading the in-house Space engineering team, the role will include working with subcontractors, suppliers and partners to drive the rapid design, development, integration, and test of spacecraft, associated payloads and ground segments. This is a multi-disciplinary technical leadership role overseeing the design development and testing of all space and associated systems including Mechanical, Electrical, Communications, Flight Control, Command & Data Handling, and Imagery Sensors. In addition to design, you will also be responsible for ensuring adequate integration and functional/performance/environment testing is performed on critical hardware systems such as spacecraft mechanical, structural, and electrical subsystems. Responsibilities also include ensuring on-time, on-budget and on-specification delivery as well as working with the wider Space team to grow the business to meet growth targets.
Ideally you will be a Subject Matter Expert and have significant experience designing, building, and testing satellites and ISR systems. Furthermore, the ideal candidate will also have had experience in technical leadership roles building, managing, and motivating a new team of spacecraft engineers
The Space Systems Chief Engineer will be responsible for leading technology efforts in multiple domains supporting system concept development, system architecture development, system and subsystem requirements development, systems analysis and trade studies, and systems modelling and simulation
- Leading design and modelling of spacecraft bus hardware and flight control software
- Support spacecraft payload integration, testing, delivery to launch and spacecraft bus partners/vendors
- Interface with systems, software, and electrical/RF engineering teams
- Developing thermal and structural analyses of the spacecraft and payload.
- Some software-based Systems Engineering analysis.
- Development and maintenance technical documentation for payload design, development, integration, and testing.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment.
Qualifications / Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree (or better) in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical Engineering or STEM-related field.
- Experience as the technical lead designing, developing, building, and testing many spacecraft –
particularly small satellites (e.g. nano/micro satellites) and in rapid work environments.
- Extensive experience in engineering with at least 5 years experience designing, integrating, and testing spacecraft subsystems including practical experience in one or more of the following: avionics/electronics, control systems, communications systems, power systems, mechanical systems, thermal analysis, or integration and testing of spacecraft systems
- Experience with space payload design and integration
- Working knowledge of spacecraft operations and related ground systems
- Proficient using various analysis engineering tools such as Solidworks, MATLAB and STK
- Must be good with computers. Fluent in Windows. Experience working with Linux operating systems is a big plus. Very capable with Microsoft Office (Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Word).
- Experience with manufacturing and fabrication methods/tools is a plus.
- Must be able to quickly develop subject matter expertise in a specific project.
- Demonstrated technical lead and/or project management experience
- Ability to obtain & maintain UK Security clearance to SC level (or higher
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.