BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
The Applied Intelligence division of BAE Systems delivers solutions which protect and enhance the connected world. Everything we do creates a safer future.
We want to solve problems for our customers and by bringing together great minds, we can work together to make the world a safer place.
Are you passionate about working with cutting edge technology and owning the design and engineering on projects delivering solutions that are central to our customer’s missions? Join BAE Systems as a Solution Architect.
As a Solution Architect you’ll be working with our International Government Customers to own the solution design and engineering methods of their core mission applications, defining innovative solutions to problems, underpinned by robust delivery and engineering methods to deliver capabilities that are not only essential to their business, but they’ll love to use. You’ll never get bored, with no two projects being the same, but you’ll bring your experience from other systems to each challenge to ensure our deliveries and an enduring success.
You’ll enjoy working as part of a team, typically being the most senior technical person on a project working with other architects, engineers and business analysts to get the best out of the team, allowing everyone to contribute the skillsets. You will be an excellent communicator both internally within your project, as well as externally to senior customer stakeholders to facilitate decision making and co-ordinate design activities with related teams.
Your experience will cover software design, infrastructure, delivery methods and engineering approaches. You won’t be expected to be an expert in them all, but you should know enough about each to make informed decisions on the best approach to follow for each. You’ll therefore know when to use Waterfall vs Agile, PaaS vs IaaS or Mongo vs Hadoop. You’ll be empowered to make decisions but will be part of a community of solution architects and engineers to bounce ideas off of and get assurance where you need it.
You will have experience in the majority of the following:
- Shaping and driving solution thinking for complex bids and delivery engagements
- Shaping solution designs following a structured methodology as appropriate to the project
- Defining infrastructure requirements for a software solution to support a scalable and resilient application
- Overseeing the implementation of the design in collaboration with other team members such as Application, Data and Security Architects
- Ensuring the design meets key functional and in particular non-functional requirements, enabling through life scenarios of the solution to be satisfied
- Working with customer technical authorities to ensure that they have a clear understanding of architecture and design proposals at an appropriate level
- Working with Engineering teams to promote good practice in engineering methods, eg development, automation and testing
- Retaining overall ownership of solution through delivery and transition into operation
- Leading estimation efforts to develop an understanding of potential solution costs and delivery timescales
And will have applied it in some of the following domains:
- Big Data solutions
- Web Scale applications for the Cloud
- Open Source and COTS integration
- Integration patterns and architectures
- Workflow systems
- Leading Development and Maintenance of Systems Architectures in line with product roadmaps and frameworks
- Leading the development of solution architectures, ensuring consistency with specified requirements agreed with both external and internal stakeholders.
- Defining and managing the solution engineering approach.
- Maintaining Engineering control and discipline around engineering process and procedures.
- Working with other disciplines to deliver the solution, including project managers, business analysts, subject matter experts, developers, testers and support staff.
- Overseeing the implementation of the design in collaboration with other design team members.
- Owning technical risks and working to reduce and mitigate them at the earliest practical opportunity.
- Leading estimation efforts to rapidly develop an understanding of costs and delivery timescales.
- Retaining overall ownership of the solution through delivery and transition into operation.
Mandatory Skills and Experience Required
- Previous experience of successfully leading the technical delivery of solutions designs, based on complex systems that include multiple hardware and software components supplied by different teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Proven Team based attributes and can demonstrate this.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skills in the Capture of architectures, designs, frameworks and requirements in engineering tools (e.g., TOGAF, UML, enterprise architecture CASE tools, DOORs, JAMA ) and other documentation.
- Documented knowledge and skills in the common design frameworks (e.g. TOGAF)
- Domain knowledge in two or more of the following areas:
- Modern public communications systems, including:
- National scale fixed line and mobile networks
- Voice and data networks
- Internet scale applications and services
- Information systems, including:
- Data architecture
- Enterprise integration methods
- Data processing
- Storage and retrieval
- Data analytics
- Service layer architectures
- “Big data” solutions
- High performance computing
- Monitoring and Logging Solutions
- Security architecture and design
Other Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experience of working with Agile software development teams
- Experience with tracking and knowledge sharing tools, e.g. Atlassian Jira, Confluence and SharePoint
About our team
You’ll be part of a big company, but we try to create a culture that feels like a small one. The work will stretch you and be challenging, but we encourage a healthy work-life balance and are open on flexible working. Most of all, we know teams who work well together also perform well. We’ll do everything we can to ensure you have fun at work, and in social activities outside of it.
More about BAE Systems
You will work for a division of BAE Systems who helps nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We’re a consultancy and products business and employ smart, motivated individuals who work together across a range of projects and products. You’ll get to work on a variety of different systems for different customers throughout your career with us. We’re passionate about Diversity and Inclusion in our workforce and the people you’ll work with will reflect this. We employ over 4,000 people across 18 countries in the Americas, APAC, UK and EMEA
For more information please visit our website: https://www.baesystems.com/en/cybersecurity/solutions/by-industry/national-security-and-law-enforcement
Help us secure a connected world. Apply now and be inspired.
Security Clearance is required for this vacancy. If you are not currently Security Cleared, you will need to be eligible for this and willing to go through the process. For more guidance on National Security Vetting please click here.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence:
We help nations, governments and businesses around the world defend themselves against cyber crime, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation, and transform their operations. We do this using our unique set of solutions, systems, experience and processes.
Our success is down to our people. The changing nature of our business means that we’re constantly looking for the brightest talent to help us fulfil our ambitions. As an experienced professional, we’ll entrust you with responsibility; this means that you’ll have client contact, variety and support from day one.
We’ll encourage and support you to develop your skills and reward you as you grow. Whatever your area of expertise, you’ll be much more than just a job title; you’ll be an integral part of the business where your individual contribution makes a difference every day. Great minds deserve great rewards, so we also offer a very competitive salary and benefits package.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Staying competitive in today’s global marketplace requires an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
Division Overview: Commercial Solutions
BAE Systems has been in the business of protecting some of the world’s most important assets and networks for over 100 years. We apply the same techniques, intelligence and strategy used in defending nations and governments to businesses as well. That’s us – Commercial Solutions – a division of BAE Systems that specializes in providing businesses around the globe with the products and services they need to stay protected in today’s connected world.
We offer a broad portfolio of on premise, managed and cloud-based products and services that are proven to protect our clients against financial crime and persistent cyber attackers.
We aim to be a global industry-leading, cyber and financial crime products business and will do this by leveraging the BAE Systems brand and by delivering higher grade security solutions for our clients.
Help us secure a connected world by being an unseen hero. Apply now and be inspired.
- Modern public communications systems, including:
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.