Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury or Dstl Portsdown West, Fareham or RAF Wyton, Huntingdon or the Catalyst Building, Dstl Newcastle (AI & Data Science roles only)
About the job
Cyber and Information Systems Division (CISD) is looking for talented people to support the growing demand for delivering evidence based resilient sensing, information and effector systems for defence and security.
We are seeking individuals with relevant qualifications and/or experience from Academia, Private and Public Sectors (including the Armed Forces) to fill the following types of role:
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In these roles you will:
• Work on a variety of interesting and challenging problems that owing to their sensitivity cannot be done elsewhere.
• Make a difference and have pride in what you do; our work improves the front-line capability of the UK Armed Forces, keeps British citizens safe and support national prosperity.
• We’re proud of our impartial status, doing things for the right reasons.
• Form links across Government, industry and academia. We work with an array of partners both at home and abroad including the Armed Forces, other Government departments and industry.
• Develop your career in exciting new areas that are growing to meet cutting-edge challenges.
We are taking positive action to actively encourage under-represented people. Representation within our workforce from females, black and minority ethnic (BAME) communities and the LGBTQI+ is currently much lower than we want it to be.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.). Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
If you are someone who has:
Existing knowledge or understanding of:
• AI, Data Science & Robotics;
• Cyber Security and Vulnerabilities;
• Communications & Networks, including Command & Control;
• Electromagnetic Activities, including electronic surveillance and attack;
• Information Systems
• Operational Research;
• Space Systems.
A desire to deliver world-class science and technology with the sole purpose of keeping the UK, our armed forces, security services, and our citizens, safe and secure.
The ability to be innovative, collaborative and impactful.
We really want to see your CV!
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
We’ll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Please state what area(s) you are interested in within Cyber Information Systems – we have requirements in a number of areas, your answer to this question will ensure your application is assessed by the right group.
- Why are you interested in working with Dstl and what would you bring to the area/positions/roles you are interested in?
Salary will be dependent on Level, Skills and Experience – Level 4: £25,052 – £36,214 / Level 5: £32,626 – £44,719 / Level 6: £40,514 – £54,683 / Level 7: £50,644 – £65,117
We’ll provide a great range of benefits including;
• Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
• Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 37 hours can be taken in any calendar month
• Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
• Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
• Chartership and accreditation support.
• Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
• A competitive salary.
• Onsite gyms and restaurants.
• Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
– Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
– Race, Faith and Culture Network
– Parents and Carer Support Network
– Alternative Working Network
– Gender Equality Network
– New Starters Network
– Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Sifting will be taking place bi-weekly throughout the campaign with successful candidates being bought forward to attend an online interview. Interviews. Interviews will be starting weekend commencing 22nd November.
Applicants invited to interview will undergo a combined Technical and behaviour based interview which will assess their experiences and behaviours relating to the requirements detailed in the attached job profile.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team [email protected] and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.), Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.