Your new role
The role holder will be responsible for the providing operational support for the data and telephony systems. The role holder will lead in one or more of the areas noted as duties and responsibilities and provide back-up and cover in the other areas as required. The role holder may be expected to contribute to a variety of projects and from time to time may be expected to lead a project strand or small project. The role holder will assist with the development of best practice guidelines and will work with the Network Specialist (Operations) to implement standards. Applications are welcomed from all technical IT staff who have experience of working with enterprise-level solutions. Networking posts are not limited to those with a pre-existing networking background, or knowledge of our existing vendors, since full training will be given.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing operational support for all data and telephony network systems
- Supervising the installation of network cabling infrastructure, including: Liaising with contractors and sub-contractors Inspecting the quality of work both during and after installation and reporting issues to the Network Specialist (Operations). This includes adherence to quality of materials, installation practices, quality standards, site cleanliness and tidiness and health and safety issues
- Ensuring the appropriate pre-installation surveys are done and all information, including information relating to the specific health and safety aspects of undertaking the work, are collated and distributed before work starts. Ensuring that documentation is supplied and maintained to an acceptable standard for test results and drawings
- Arranging recharges and payments for work undertaken as necessary
- Performing site surveys to determine customer requirements and recommending the location of cabinets, position and quantity of outlets, cabling routes, basket and tray work requirements, power requirements, existing infrastructure, available capacity of networking equipment and telephony requirements
- Drafting paperwork so that quotations can be obtained and accompanying potential contractors on site visits Installing, commissioning and decommissioning switches and other network equipment Installing and testing network and telephony monitoring and management software Installing, commissioning and decommissioning telephony equipment and related services (eg call logger and voicemail systems)
- Monitoring the network, including: Checking firewall and ancillary logs for incidents Checking network monitoring tools to identify activity which could, potentially, disrupt services Monitoring network traffic to baseline and profile service
- Assisting with changes to network configurations
- Monitoring performance and providing reports Liaising with IT service desk staff and Data Centre technicians to provide information on service status
- Investigating problems, resolving faults and providing general support, in liaison with the Network Specialist (Operations)
- Liaising with contractors as required Assisting with the provision of network documentation
- Acting as the technical lead in this area Leading project strands or small projects and contributing to projects as required
- Assisting with the identification and sourcing appropriate IT training and consultancy
- Keeping abreast of relevant technologies Working with the Head of Networking and the other Network Specialists to develop, implement and monitor working standards and best practice guidelines.
- Assisting with supplier negotiations as appropriate
- Assisting with the development and delivery of network and telephony support strategies, potentially including: Operational log analysis Automation and orchestration (ansible, puppet etc)
- There may be a requirement to work outside normal hours, either to attend appointments/ meetings or to meet specific deadlines. The role holder will be expected to be flexible in regard to working additional hours.
- IT systems are regularly upgraded and full replacement systems are procured from time to time. You will be expected to attend staff training sessions to refresh and update systems knowledge and the range of core skills required to undertake the role.
- A scheme for out of hours cover has been implemented. It is expected that the role holder will be a member of that scheme which will involve out of hours call out for their supported systems
- All role holders are expected to undertake such other appropriate duties as may be requested by the Assistant Director, IT Operations
The networking team provide a range of services into the university including
- Wired connections â€” switches, routing, load balancing and firewalling
- Wireless connections â€” including RADIUS authentication
- Virtual Private Networking (VPN)
- IP Address Management – including DNS and DHCP
- Wide Area Network (WAN) links
- Telephony â€” including voicemail
What you’ll need to succeed
Previous skills/experience required
- Expert knowledge of current networking and/or systems technologies and their application
- Documentation skills
- Expert knowledge of implementing and maintaining networking infrastructure: e.g.one or more of routers, switches load balancers, firewalls, VPNs, wireless, DNS/DHCP etc
- Strong written and oral communications, presentation and negotiating skills
- Analytic and problem-solving skills Commitment to the service ethos and user focussed
- Ability to work independently and within a small team
- Ability to work in a demanding environment and to tight deadlines
- Demonstrable communication skills in English language.
- Flexible approach to work, including planned out of hours work
- An HND or equivalent qualification in IT or related subject area or equivalent experience
- Demonstrable experience of maintaining components of an enterprise-level IT infrastructure.
- Experience of working with/managing suppliers
- Working experience of project management â€” i.e. membership of a project team
- Experience of working with/managing suppliers
- Experience of working with log files (e.g. for correlating events and/or fault diagnosis)
- An IT related degree or equivalent qualification Certification in Network or Telephony Technology
What you need to do now
If you’re interested in this role, click ‘apply now’ to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn’t quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.