Head of Networks
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
Why choose the University of York?
The University of York is an iconic Russell Group University, set in the picturesque medieval town in North Yorkshire. It’s made up of about 25,000 users and with a turnover of around £400m per annum.
It is an exciting time to join the University as they emerge from the pandemic with new ways of working and a strategic change programme that is underpinned by an ambitious programme of digital transformation. If you are looking to make a real difference and bring a new view on technology and ways of working, this might be the perfect opportunity for you.
The University is now embarking upon a digital transformational journey, enhancing and focusing strongly on improving the overall experience for both students, staff and its wider communities along with delivering efficiencies and value for money for all. These areas of investment include AWS, Salesforce, UX, WIFI improvements, cyber security, user-centred design and agile working to name a few of their transformational initiatives.
As an innovative Head of Networks, you will lead and manage the function strategically and operationally, motivating a team of around 9 technical professionals that support the university’s complex network infrastructure.
The University’s network infrastructure will include cloud, wired, wireless, on-campus and external suppliers. You will lead on network technology choices including the use of public cloud, making appropriate changes to architecture and future technology choices to ensure the University takes full advantage of technology changes and enhancements. With a major capital investment in the network approved, it will be a great time to join with improvements around the replacement of wired, wireless and data centre networking all on the agenda.
You will provide specialist and expert advice to other teams within IT and elsewhere across the University. Assisting the senior leadership team by providing advice, guidance and policies related to network infrastructure and services.
You will direct the development and oversight of strategic infrastructure, vendor and partner relationship management, project management and identify IT-related developments and emerging technologies that will enhance the University’s plans and initiatives for the future.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience
- Significant experience of leading a network service in a highly pressurised, large complex environment
- Deep knowledge of how modern networks are architected and managed.
- Broad knowledge of networking and experience of a public cloud platform (AWS/Azure)
- An understanding of system implementation and integration would be highly beneficial
- Ability to provide technical leadership across a broad range of systems and platforms and understand user requirements and translate them into technical infrastructure
- Ability to contribute to the strategic direction of the department and the services it runs
- Budget, procurement and supplier management
- HP Aruba experience would be advantageous but not essential
- You will be a driven and dynamic leader who is experienced at engaging, challenging, negotiating and influencing at all levels
- High level, proven inter-personal and communication skills are essential, as is the ability to lead, and motivate a team of technical professionals
- Adaptable and flexible with the ability to form strong working relationships with stakeholders across the organisation at all levels
As an employer of choice, the University of York offers a competitive benefits package including:
- Competitive salary package dependent on experience
- 30 days annual leave plus public holidays
- Excellent pension package (23.7% employer contribution)
- Access to training and development opportunities
- Flexible and remote working arrangements available
- Subsidised onsite gym and discounts on a number online and retail venues
Closing Date: Wednesday 29th September
Virtual Interview Date: Week commencing 11th October
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.