BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
Materials Scientist at PARC
Start Date: June 2022
Base Location: Great Baddow, Essex
Would you like to work within a varied and interesting role supporting a wide range of products for both defence and commercial sectors? We currently growing the team and have a vacancy for a Materials Scientist / Chemist at our site in Great Baddow, Essex.
As a Materials Scientist, you will be working as part of a multidiscipline team within the Product Assurance Response Centre (PARC). PARC’s activities include the provision of rapid technical troubleshooting services relating to components, production and processes, and ‘green issues’. This will be working across a broad range of industrial operations including avionics, sensors, shipbuilding, aircraft manufacture, sonar systems, radar and energetic materials. The rapid resolution of technical issues in PARC is paramount in ensuring high performance, quality, value and competitiveness throughout BAE SYSTEMS and our customers.
This role will provide you with the chance to develop your skills within materials science where every day is different. You will gain exposure to cutting edge technology as well as excellent career development opportunities.
Your main responsibilities as a Materials Scientist / Chemist will involve:
- Providing rapid troubleshooting and failure analysis service relating to components, production and processes
- Ensuring high performance, quality, value, and competitiveness throughout BAE Systems
- Using test and analytical equipment to ensure problems are solved in a timely fashion, supporting colleagues on a wide range of enquiries.
- Preparing technical reports, test procedures, process specifications and other product documentation
- Liaising with both internal and external customers, including travel and visits to other business units as part of the rapid troubleshooting service
- Knowledge of materials properties, selection, processing and testing, ideally encompassing polymers, metals, ceramics and composites, adhesives and surface finishes and coatings.
- Membership of a recognised technical institution would be advantageous
- A proven track record in a production or quality environment is preferable.
What we’re looking for in you:
You must be able to work using your own initiative, with the ability to multi-task and manage your own workload. You will also possess a flexible and adaptable approach to enable you to take on enquiries that are not from your specific academic background.
Your skills and qualifications as a Materials Scientist / Chemist:
- Degree level qualification (or equivalent with experience) in Materials Science / Chemistry / Metallurgy.
- Possesses excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to use Microsoft office, particularly a good working knowledge of Word and Excel.
- Is able to work independently without close supervision.
- Report writing to a high standard, but concise.
- Eligible for UK Security Vetting: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
- Knowledge of modern analytical techniques e.g. SEM / EDX, XRF, 3D X-Ray/ CT, Tensile testing, material / sample preparation, DSC/TGA, FTIR (EGA), TMA, DMA, , NDT techniques etc. (In-house training will also be provided)
What to Expect on the Programme
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence is a fast paced and agile business. The more you put into your role the more you will get out, building lasting professional relationships. You may get the opportunity to work with clients early on in your time with us which will require you to think on your feet and quickly get up to speed with our products and services.
You will be part of our Future Talent community and be provided with a career mentor who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. It is not all work and no play, the Future Talent community regularly runs social events and activities for all to get involved with.
We encourage you, as a Graduate Engineer, to immerse yourself within your project team, who will be on hand to support you, providing on the job training, advice and networking opportunities. You will be encouraged to build your internal and external networks in order to better expose yourself to the variety of opportunities within our business.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our, work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance
Those progressed from initial application will be invited to undertake a virtual assessment involving gamified challenges and video questions on HireVue. If you are successful at this stage, you’ll then be invited to a virtual, final interview.
Please reach out to your recruitment contact, if you need to discuss any requirements for reasonable accommodations throughout the recruitment process.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.