BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
Programme & Systems Engineering
Start date: Aprill, June or September 2022
Base location: Gloucester, Guildford, Leeds
Here at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we exist to protect and enhance the connected world. We are committed to helping governments, organisations and society navigate digital threats and opportunities.
A core aspect of our work involves supporting our customers in undertaking large scale programmes of work, either as a large scale system development, system evolution, or acting as a prime integrator where we take capabilities from both within BAE Systems and our suppliers to create bespoke solutions to mission problems.
Undertaking this type of work relies on a range on engineering disciplines being brought together in a cohesive way, accounting for security, reliability, supportability, and value for the customer.
In meeting our programme goals we embrace open source software and work on the basis of: Open Source if possible, 3rd Part if valuable, Custom if necessary
We seek to develop and maintain the skillsets to ensure each of the options continue to be available to us, and to make the right solution choice for the situation. To achieve this, we are looking to recruit those with the potential to be great engineers.
As the cyber and intelligence arm of BAE Systems, we employ over 3,500 people around the world, with the main focus being here in the UK. This presents a prolific set of opportunities for our engineers to develop their skills and progress their careers.
The graduate programme is designed to give you ownership of your career aspirations, supported by training and practical experience to help you succeed. You will be part of our Future Talent Community and be assigned a Career Manager, who will support and guide you throughout your career with us. All of this is designed to complement your career development, fuel your ambition, and give depth to your training and career.
Our programme teams form to meet the needs of our customers, and as a Graduate Engineer, you will join one of these teams, working alongside skilled and experienced individuals who are motivated to train and coach you on the day-to-day skills required to produce high quality solutions to complex engineering problems.
As a graduate you will be immersed in the programme, and will likely get involved across various aspects of the programme within the first 6 months. You will learn the tools, techniques and approaches used by engineering professionals and apply them in a controlled environment to ensure the programme can meet its customer’s needs.
There are a variety of roles within Programme and System Engineering, and while you are likely to specialise in one, you will be encouraged to develop skills and understanding across the range. These include:
- Systems Engineer: Working as part of the core programme teams, our system engineers design our solutions, managing the requirements, assessing the options, and making the technical decisions to deliver value to the customer
- Software Engineer (Big Data): The majority of our programmes incorporate significant data volumes either in throughput (multi-Terabit), or storage (multi-Petabyte)
- Software Engineer (Application): Using a mix of custom development (commonly Java but sometimes C++), and customisation of open-source/3rd party tools, predominately on Linux, to address critical aspects of our solutions. These can be a mix of business logic, ETL, or performance bottlenecks
- DevOps Engineer: Covering a wide range of activity including traditional DevOps, TechOps, and DevSecOps. These engineers form a core element of our systems teams ensuring robust, secure, and efficient execution in development, test, and deployment environments. Activities are wide ranging, but include the development CD/CI toolchains, design of deployment strategies, and the defining orchestration strategies and approaches
- Infrastructure Engineer: Our solutions commonly utilise large numbers of servers (physical or virtual) to achieve the programme objectives. Our infrastructure engineers design our deployments in terms of servers, networking, and security, to meet the performance, and capacity needs of each individual solution
- Testing Engineer: Our customer rely on us to deliver reliable solutions to deliver their missions. Our test teams ensure that we what we deliver meets our customer needs and our own high standards. Test engineers will join our programmes very early in their lifecycle and will be involved throughout design, integration, test, and final commissioning with our customers
As part of our graduate programme, we will support you in developing the right skills for both your role and career, but are looking for people who show:
- An interest and aptitude in solving problems
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- A desire to learn
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Articulate, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work as part of a team
Desired Technical Ability
Given the range of roles, we are looking for people from a wide range of backgrounds, however experience in any of the following would be advantageous:
- Requirements Analysis
- Test Analysis and definition
- AWS, Azure
- Linux, Docker, VMWare
- Ansible, Foreman, Kubernetes,
- Jenkins, Bamboo,
- HDFS, Kafka, Avro
- Networking (esp security)
- Qt, React, Redux, JEE
- Git, BitBucket, Jira, Jama
- You will need to have obtained (in the last 3 years) or be studying towards a 2:2 or above, in a STEM degree
- Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government Developed Vetting (DV) clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/united-kingdom-security-vetting-applicant
We expect great things of our graduates. In return, you can expect a £2000 sign-on bonus, £30,000 starting salary with regular, performance based uplifts and a comprehensive benefits and pension package, including 25 days’ annual holiday with flexible leave arrangements and product and service discounts.
In the fields to follow, please highlight which of the described professions are best aligned to your current skillset and aspirations. If eligible, you will then be invited to complete a digital assessment for the relevant role.
The final stage of the process will then be an interview with one of our Engineers.
Should you wish to discuss the process or any accommodations, please contact your recruitment contact.
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.