BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence works with governments and businesses around the world to help them defend against cyber threats, reduce their risk in the connected world, comply with regulation and transform their operations.
The Wireless Products group works with customers to develop innovative mission critical technology. Applications include software radios, space technology and underwater systems.
We are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals to work as electronics engineers in one of our customer-facing product teams. Relevant industry experience is preferable but most of all we are looking for bright, enthusiastic and committed individuals with a strong academic background and the ability to learn quickly.
We have a range of roles available, from graduate entry through to experienced engineers. We are interested in hearing from anyone who can make a strong contribution to our work.
What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
We’d like to hear from people keen to develop their career in engineering who have a baseline of experience in some or all of the following areas that we cover:
- RF PCB development. We design a variety of RF circuit boards ranging from low power embedded sensors, designed for use in harsh environments, through to high performance analogue designs for radio equipment covering bands from VLF through to millimetre wave systems. This development may involve modelling (eg using Matlab, Agilent ADS, CST, Spice etc) as well as schematic capture and RF circuit board layout.
- Digital, mixed signal and power PCB development. We develop a wide range of boards such as state-of-the art digital signal processing platforms incorporating the latest FPGAs, SoCs and processors.
- Mechanical design and system integration. We design chassis and enclosures for our PCBs to ensure the optimum solution for its intended environment. The designs have to be easily assembled and repaired through life but also provide for cooling and protection in challenging environments. This work often involves compliance testing for CE, airborne, military and space applications.
- System engineering. Most of our solutions comprise of a blend of hardware, firmware and software. Early in the development lifecycle you will be involved in the design activity responsible for partitioning the functionality in to these domains taking into account the requirements and constraints.
Development work, depending on the level of seniority, will include:
- Client interaction to understand and influence requirements, deliver solutions and be involved in bidding for new work.
- Development team lead, including mentoring junior engineering staff.
- Research and monitoring of developments in relevant technology to maintain and enhance our leading-edge capability.
The main emphasis of this role is the implementation and delivery of hardware solutions; advice and support from senior technical specialists is expected to be provided, particularly in the early stages of design.
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background typically in Engineering or Physics a 2:1 or 1st class degree.
- Understanding of the principles of PCB circuit design and layout.
- Understanding of the principles of mechanical design. Experience with 3D CAD would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Proven record of set-to-work and verification of complex hardware, sometimes under demanding project timescales.
- Competent in the use of laboratory measurement equipment (eg oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, vector network analysers etc).
- An appreciation of the technologies involved in software radio.
- Experience in the use of software and firmware development tools and environments, e.g. C/C++, Java, Linux, particularly as needed to support hardware test and debug.
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary development teams in a project-based environment.
- Client-facing experience and influencing skills, as well as strong inter-personal skills.
- Experience of designing products for production.
- Experience of designing products for compliance against industry standards (eg CE, FCC, DEF STAN).
Successful candidates for this role will be required to go through UK Government security clearance prior to starting with us.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.