Aviva are on a mission to make things simpler for our customers and people, building an outstanding service that’s low on customer effort and high on customer satisfaction. Data is vitally important to the realisation of this ambition and central to our aim of automating and digitising our processes is the need to improve our understanding of data as it is crucial we know how our business works.
This is where the Business Domain Modelling (BDM) team comes in! Our team specialises in conceptual and logical data modelling within Group Data Architecture; we work to build data models of Aviva by breaking it into small, manageable chunks (domains). We use Agile principles to refine the models over time so that they are focused on the needs of Aviva and the initiatives that are important. Through the modelling process we develop a ubiquitous language that everyone can use to define requirements and efficiently build appropriate solutions gaining an unprecedented level of understanding into the complicated industry we work in.
The models are used by business users and business analysts to understand how we operate and to reduce the amount of re-analysis of the same subject matter. Technical teams make use of the models to aid the development of code and make sure they have a full grasp of the solutions they are building ensuring a common understanding and structure to the data within the domain. The models will also be used for data governance to help build standardised data definitions, measure data quality, and generally help manage our data effectively.
The Data Modeller role is a hands-on modelling role that is responsible for defining business domains and developing the data models to support them. You will work closely with a variety of business teams and technical teams to gain new insights into how the business operates and the way this can be delivered by IT systems. You will need to be able to work autonomously within an encouraging environment supported by other data modellers and data architects.
Duties & responsibilities:
- Building conceptual/logical data models that accurately represent data relationships
- Working with both technical and business teams to elicit requirements and understand the business
- Governance and oversight of data models ensuring they conform to agreed principles and standards
- Supporting the delivery of change activity and ensuring that Business Domain Models meet the business needs
- Work with business and IT teams to understand opportunities for improvement and simplification of the business based on outcomes of the modelling
- Engage with data modellers, data architects and other data professionals to continually improve the data modelling landscape and the benefit it can give to Aviva
- Nurturing a data culture and promoting of data model usage
- Assisting with implementing data models into the change and governance frameworks
Skills & experience required:
- Experience of data modelling and of working with data in a complex environment
- Worked in business analysis and/or requirement elicitation
- Good communication and stakeholder management skills with an ability to communicate with both business and technical colleagues at all levels
- Passion for data and an inquisitive mind
- Adept problem solver with a flair for logical and lateral thinking
- Experience of conceptual and/or logical data modelling
- Knowledge of Domain Driven Design (DDD) and DAMA would be beneficial but not essential
- Understanding of data analytics, APIs, databases, and related technologies would also be a plus
What will you get for this role?
- A competitive salary depending on skills, experience, and qualifications
- Generous defined contribution pension scheme
- Annual performance related bonus and pay review
- Holiday allowance of 29 days plus bank holidays and the option to buy/sell up to 5 additional days
- Up to 40% discount for some Aviva products through “My Aviva Extras” plus discounts for Friends and Family (some exclusions apply)
- Excellent range of flexible benefits to include a matching share save scheme
Working at Aviva
At Aviva, we’re people with a purpose. To be with you today, for a better tomorrow.
We bring this to life by ensuring managing risk is at the heart of the way we all work. We love people who do the right thing for our customers, and our colleagues. We want people who speak up, who take ownership, and who make good decisions.
The way we do this is important too, we’re all about our people – that’s you – so we can be pretty flexible. If you want to work from home some of the time or change your hours so you can pick up your kids or care for someone in your family, we’re very open to that. In fact, we don’t advertise roles as either part or full time, because we know each person has different needs, just as each business area has different needs. So, it’s up to you to discuss working hours during your interview.
We care deeply about being inclusive and that means we encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We want our employees to bring their whole self to work and that starts with you.
We interview every disabled applicant* that meets the minimum criteria for the job. Once you’ve applied, please send us a separate email stating that you have a disclosed disability and we’ll make sure we interview you.
We’d love it if you could submit your application online. If you require an alternative method of applying, please give Daniela Krol a call on 0121 234 7660 or send an email to [email protected] .
*As defined in The Equality Act 2010*. By ‘minimum criteria’ we mean you should provide us with evidence which demonstrates that you generally meet the level of competence required and have the qualifications, skills or experience defined as essential to perform the role.
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.