BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
About the Role:
BAE Applied Intelligence has a core team of data professionals, specialising in many areas of data lifecycles and supporting all our core clients. A consultant data analyst will be expected to move between client groups during their early career, gaining experience in many areas.
This role is intended to start within the Behavioural Analytics Subsystem of the NNCC (National Network Cyber Centre) project. NNCC is a product provided to key UK allies around the world, with the goal of identifying malicious behaviour from advanced threats in network traffic. The Behavioural Analytics team research, prototype, develop and engineer complex analytics on incredibly large datasets using cutting edge technology and research to spot small signals amongst large amounts of noise. These analytics are designed to work behind air-gapped systems on sensitive data. The analytics team works as both a long term development team for the core NNCC product, as well as a Data Lab focussed research team for specific clients, rapidly spinning up prototypes to serve immediate operational needs. Current capability includes standard statistical modelling, machine learning components including NLP models, MLP classifiers, and logistical scoring. Current research includes unsupervised learning for mining graph networks, automatic behavioural clustering of graph vertices, and automatic severity labelling and prioritisation.
As a junior member of the team, you will be expected to learn good coding practices to produce robust additions to the platform. This will include gaining in-depth knowledge of the platform architecture, the analytics design ethos and the data architecture and nuances. You will be required to both improve and iterate on existing analytics, as well as design and prototype analytics and visualisations with the oversight of a senior data scientist. Some knowledge of cyber security would be a benefit, but is not required.
- Proficiency in data investigation, manipulation and analysis techniques supporting the pattern finding and presentation of statistical information.
- Good understanding of database, data storing and data manipulation solutions and techniques, supported by proficient coding / data querying skills.
- Ability to ascertain the state of data, data systems and data processes across the organisations, enabling the creation or support of data landscaping exercises, and advise and lead on local improvements whenever appropriate.
- Ability to extract valuable data and information from unstructured / semi structured noise and present it in an intelligible way to the customer(s).
- Strong consulting skills ethos, understanding different requirement elicitation and interviewing techniques, able to translate “business request” into “technical data speak”.
- Responsible for creating tailored data visualisations, ranging from scheduled static reports to dynamic data dashboards.
- Responsible for leading, managing and designing small improvements across the organisation data systems and processes (e.g. new database / schemas; data quality improvement processes)
- Takes on a lead / SME role, owns specific work areas and coaches others when necessary.
- Operates with several other resources, understanding key strengths and roles carried out by each job family, (e.g. Data Architects, Data Scientists, Delivery Teams, Business Analysts, etc.) and is able to clearly articulate the data state in the organisation, its limitations and recommended steps for remediation.
- Takes ownership of one or more areas of work including planning, identifying risks and regular reports to the project manager or client.
- On small engagements, may assume the duties of a technical project manager.
- Engages with client stakeholders to understand and document the existing data landscape:
- Key Data systems
- Key Data processes
- Key Data entities
- Key Data sources and their limitations
- Relevant Data privacy & security guidelines.
- Able to translate data findings into “customer-speak” and be able to anticipate and answer the “So-What” questions, or in other words, being able to translate the technical data findings into a context aligned to the business, highlighting both impacts and recommended approaches for mitigation.
- Able to analyse the suitability of existing data systems, processes, sources, and entities and define approaches to address any limitations found, including:
- Designing technical / process data changes
- Recommending use of different toolsets
- Ability to conduct both technical and business driven interviews around data needs and requirements, and drive the building of new / updates to existing data components from the interview output. In detail the resource is able to:
- Consolidate interview outputs.
- Agree requirement prioritisation.
- Resolve disputing requirements.
- Translate business requirements into technical requirements.
- Investigates corporate data requirements and applies data analysis, data modelling and quality assurance techniques, to improve the performance or maintainability of the data estate.
- Able to perform complex and advanced analysis on data from different sources and varying levels of quality, including:
- Capable of performing continuous monitoring and analysis approaches to systems and data across the organisation.
- Provide advice to the client on what the results of Analysis mean for their business.
- Has a good understanding of available Open Source software and COTS tools enabling the E2E processing of data, and evaluates potential solutions, demonstrating and commissioning selected products in a range of areas, including:
- Data Processing
- Data Quality Management
- Data Profiling
- Data Storing
- Data Visualisation
What we are looking for:
- Python experience
- Especially building libraries
- Git Experience
- ETL Tool capabilities
- Ab Initio, Informatica and Oracle ODI
- Big Data / Open Source ETL Tools
- Database Management Systems
- Application Testing Tools
- Configuration Management and Version Control Tools
- Testing strategies and tools
- Infrastructure design
Life at BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day. By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance wellbeing.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.
Division overview: Government
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Government contracts are an area we have many decades of experience in. Our Government business unit houses four of our critical client groups: UK National Security, Global National Security, defence and central government. Government and key infrastructure networks are critical targets to defend as the effects of these networks being breached can be devastating.
As a member of the Government business unit, you will defend the connected world and ensure the protection of nations. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
To apply for this job please visit www.cybersecurityjobsite.com.